Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Get Personal



The News-Gazette is doing a blog segment called getting personal. I would love to tell you more about myself and invite you to browse my blog and see what we are up to. So welcome, welcome News Gazette followers.
Name, age, town of residence: 
Debra, 26, Urbana
Profession: Explain in one sentence what it is you do.
I am a stay at home mom of 2 beautiful boys and wife of one very handsome husband who is passionate about human rights
What time do you typically get up? What do you do the first hour of the morning?
6:30ish and I usually get the toddler changed, eat breakfast, get into my workout clothes, check my email and hit the gym
What did you have for lunch today? Where? With whom?
I had chicken nuggets, yogurt and veggies with the toddler
Best high school memory.
Prom with my, now, husband
Tell me about your favorite pair of shoes.
I have a very comfy pair of tennis shoes that I love. 
What does a perfect Sunday afternoon include?
Breakfast with my family, church and football. 

Was there one book you read as a child that you still cherish? Own? Read?
The Bible
Where on earth are you dying to go? Why?

Africa! And I am in November to spread awareness about child trafficking and help at The Village of Life orphanage.
Tell me about your favorite pet.
I have really only had one pet. Our dog, Jade. She is very sweet and gentle with our children
Have you discovered as you matured that you are becoming like one of your parents?
Which one and how?
Not really. I am very different from my parents. I don't parent like them, think like them or act like them. 
What would you order for your last meal?
Probably would have my mom make me biscuits and gravy and my grandma make chocolate eclair. Steak medium well and a glass of GOOD wine. Oh and a baked potato with all the fixins.  
What can you NOT live without?
A camera
Who do you have on your iPod?
I don't have an ipod. But I listen to a lot of rock, christian  (especially with my kids), sometimes a bit of techno. Very eclectic in my  music preferences.
What’s the happiest memory of your life?
The moment my oldest son was put into my arms and I had a family. I was absolutely speechless and overwhelmed and just joyful. Speechless rarely happens for me.
If you could host a dinner party with any three living people in the world, whom
would you invite?
Desmond Tutu and Somaly Mam for the conversation, Elton John for the entertainment, 
What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Marriage isn't about feeling "in love", (because it doesn't always happen) it is LOVE as an action. 
What’s your best piece of advice?
Find a passion in life and pursue it full heart. Don't let obstacles hold you back or keep you where you are at. Teach your children to love others and serve others.
What was your first job, and how much did you make an hour?
 I worked at a graphics shop and made like $5hr "under the table"... shhhh don't tell anyone
What was a pivotal decision in your career, and how did you arrive at that decision?
Well, I don't have a career yet really. But I am very passionate about human rights violations and child trafficking. The reason I have pursued this kind of work is because I have so much love and passion for trafficked children/persons that there seems to be no other choice. 
Do you have a bad habit? What is it?
I chew my cuticles so my hands are not the prettiest :P
How do you handle a stressful situation?
Prayer, exercise, and sleep. The problem will still be there so I do things to relax and then tackle the problem when I am more relaxed.

1 comment:

erika said...

Nice to 'meet' you! :)